Asi es la vida en Peru

A sketch of life in Lima

Friday, February 16, 2007

Looks like I got it

It looks like I got the internship with the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime that I was hoping for. My boss is James Shaw, an anti-corruption expert, legal counsel and the only American in the office. I communicate in English with him, but in Spanish with the 40+ other employees of the office. It seems I will be focusing on money laundering and to a lesser degree corruption, migrant smuggling, human trafficking, the illegal firearms trade, the drug trade and other activities of organized criminal groups. On the first day, James talked to me about potential for States to use international law to allow the seizure of the proceeds of illicit activities and the return of those proceeds to the country of their origin. If States confiscated the assets of criminals and redirected them to fight crime, law enforcement could be self-funding. My work so far has been researching the applicable UN Conventions and their Protocols. These include especially the Convention Against Corruption and the Convention Against Transnational Organized Crime. I have learned so much in just a week and I anticipate learning a great deal more.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home