Asi es la vida en Peru

A sketch of life in Lima

Friday, February 16, 2007

Hitting the ground running/Tere - possibly the sweetest woman in the world

Tere has made my transition to living in Lima a matter of ease. Within a week, I have a place to stay, a job, a means to get to work, a cell phone, a gym, access to the internet at home, cable TV, hot showers, laundry service, a great grasp of the city and good prospects of finding my own apartment. More than that, she has made efforts to introduce me to many of the young people she knows, which has resulted in me being invited to parties and meeting other interesting people my age. She has made efforts to expose me to the cultural opportunities of the city, like lunches at the Alliance Francais and a special invitation to an art exhibition. She has also invited me into nearly all aspects of her life, from socializing with her tai chi friends to going to the grocery store together.

Having shelter as soon as you arrive in a foreign place is such an advantage. And having a good friend that cares deeply about your well-being is almost a luxury. But I know that I did not fall into this situation as a matter of chance. My positive experience here is the product of a deep friendship between two people and I am fortunate enough to have a loving relationship with one of them, my Aunt Mary. It is great to have family that cares about you, but it is even greater when someone extends that familial love to someone not blood-related to them. Entonces, muchisimas gracias, Tia Tere.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home