Asi es la vida en Peru

A sketch of life in Lima

Wednesday, May 23, 2007

The Amazon






My trip in the Amazon was quite interesting. I was able to visit a floating village, the local Yagua tribe and an exotic animal farm while I was there (see pics above). Iquitos is a very pleasant city and happensl to be the largest city in the world that cannot be reached by road (only by air or river). Belen, the floating village, was where the poorest families lived. Like what I saw in the Mekong River Delta in Vietnam and in parts of Thailand and Indonesia, the hygienic situation of human waste being disposed into the same water used for drinking, bathing and washing seems mighty precarious. The kids learning to row before being able to walk was a cute idea, however. I visited a local indigenous tribe that taught me a traditional dance and how to use a giant blow-dart gun. I also went to an animal farm where I was able to view and interact with some of the local species. The opportunity of taking ayahuasca was also presented to me, a spiritual experience I might save for later in life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home